|Title:||Director of Design-Build & Preconstruction Services|
|Graycor Company:||Graycor Construction Company|
|Location:||Chicago, IL (Oakbrook Terrace)|
As Director of Design-Build & Preconstruction Services, you will lead Graycor Construction Company’s preconstruction efforts.
In this role, you will align with General Managers and Estimators to deliver quality, end-to-end Preconstruction services across multiple projects, offices, and markets. Directs and supervises activities related to Preconstruction, including conceptual estimates, design (associated with Design-Build projects), constructability reviews, value engineering, bid estimates, proposal efforts, and other deliverables.
This position will develop and maintain relationships with subcontractors, A&E companies, and assist in the pursuit and development of new project opportunities.
At Graycor, You Will Have The Opportunity To:
- Have ultimate accountability for all preconstruction efforts produced by all business units. Responsible for ensuring adherence to subcontractor prequalification requirements prior to the award of any subcontract. Review and ensure accuracy of all deliverables during the preconstruction process. Coordinate with the preconstruction and project teams to provide Constructability Reviews during all phases of design and produce and maintain detailed preconstruction schedules from schematic design phase to construction phase. Ensure that all projects hold a Preconstruction hand off meeting to ensure proper transition to Operations team. Develops and maintains adequate historical databases that enhance/improve the consistency, effectiveness, and efficiency of preconstruction services.
- Review conceptual and programmatic design documents to determine both the nature and scope of the work to be performed; prepare accurate conceptual budgets based on the nature and extent of the scope of work, including directing design effort to minimize costs while meeting project requirements.
- Ensures the timely processing of all subcontracts through the Graycor Project Management System (GPMS) and works with House Counsel, General Managers, and Construction Managers to address and resolve subcontractor contract comments.
- Develop and maintain relationships: with subcontractors and A&E companies. Actively participate in meetings with owners and A&E companies during development of the design. Support Business Development in the maintenance of customer relationships and in support of specific project pursuits. The Director of Preconstruction will offer technical expertise and advice during the entire timeline from opportunity, to pursuit, and execution of awarded projects.
- Recruit and develop employees: In conjunction with Chief Estimators, conduct annual performance reviews, including goal setting and development plans, for all estimators. Implement training and development programs to improve the preconstruction process and individual development of all direct reports and other personnel involved in preconstruction efforts. In conjunction with HR and General Managers, lead the recruiting efforts associated with estimating department resources.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and the Continuous Improvement Steering Committee (CISC). Functions as Process Group Leader and monitors compliance with the processes included in The Graycor Way.
To Be Successful in This Role, You Will Need:
- Bachelor of Science degree in construction management, estimating, architecture, engineering or other related degree
- Minimum 15 years’ applicable estimating, design management and/or construction management experience working for a GC on commercial construction projects.
- Previous construction project experience with retail/entertainment, logistics/distribution, cold storage, manufacturing, hospitality/lodging, office, food processing, and Green building projects is a plus.
- Extensive experience managing design, estimating, and project management associated with Design-Build projects.
- Software skills in Primavera Scheduling, WinEst or other estimating software, GradeBeam or other bid solicitation software, On-Screen Takeoff, BIM/Autodesk, and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint) programs.
- Extensive knowledge of construction costs and design/build engineering principles.
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, controlled sense of urgency, and the ability manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Must be confident leading estimating teams of varying sizes, and be capable of leading hard bid, negotiated and conceptual projects.
- Must possess strong communication/interpersonal skills and be confident in his/her ability to develop and manage the entire preconstruction process; must have effective presentation skills.
- Strong leadership/coaching skills and the ability to influence others to ensure high performing teams.
- Ability to travel regularly to other offices (Charlotte, Phoenix, San Jose).
- Member of the Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) is a plus.
Why Build with Graycor's Growing, Dynamic Team?
Building Your Future is How We Build Ours. At Graycor, we seek out those with the highest potential and provide an empowering environment with tools that allow you to take ownership in your career development.
Stability Means Staying Ahead of the Curve. Graycor is committed to continuous improvement and reinvesting in evolving technologies. To ensure stability, we have a diversified project portfolio in a broad range of niche markets nationwide.
We Are Family. This is why we have an intense commitment to Safety. We want to make sure that every member of our Graycor family goes home each day to theirs. Our family-owned company also sponsors wellness and charitable events, casual employee get-togethers, lunch and learns, and other fun social events.
Our Greatest Asset? Our Name. Reputation is grown over time. Our dedication to our people and building trust has enabled us to cultivate long-term relationships with our clients, our partners, and each other.
We’re Building Something More.
Established in 1921, the Graycor Companies provide General Contracting and Construction Management services to a wide variety of industrial and commercial construction markets across the US, Canada and Mexico. As a top ranking industry leader, Graycor commits to safe working environments, demands excellence and rewards passion.
For more information, visit our website at www.graycor.com
The Graycor family of companies is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer